Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

What do you do when the curtains of anosognosia open up to show reality?
As parents, family, friends and physicians , we work very hard for years through teaming up  to bring our loved one to admit, face and embrace their illness.
I often thought to myself that if my son could  realize that he is ill, it would make his therapy easier, his adherence to medication a breeze and his future much brighter.
Beating anosognosia became my obsession, (hard word to spell and to pronounce just like its meaning). The patient can't realize that he is ill because his reality it completely and totally real. The voices have taken enough shape and character to eclipse their surroundings.  Getting my son to take his medications and adhere to therapy was probably the most difficult and daunting task at hand. However, how can you challenge the response? I am not sick. I don't need meds? Such a popular response that Doctor Xavier Amador has written a book about it. First, I used to challenge his disorganized speeches, his absurd clothing, his open reactions to auditory hallucinations... I became angry. Come on.... you are too smart for that... can't you see how you look? Can you even hear what you are  saying? Why are you laughing? What is so funny? I thought  pointing at all that will definitely be a winner but to my dismay, it didn't.
After I used the LEAP ( Listen, emphasize, agree and partner), and because my son was ready, I used it ad nauseam: don't you want to reach this? It could be so much easier with (name of medication)!
I became a trusted partner and (oh if only the pharmaceutical company  heard me)! A loyal advocate for the benefits  this tiny little pill represented (I made it look so insignificant in size but with huge positive significances to reach a goal). I never gave up, kept pounding these ideas repeatedly, beating the odds and the voices which (I guess) couldn't handle dismissing mine anymore!
My son sat with me on the couch the next morning, and said, Mom; I don't feel well.  I am ill, and I need help.

I looked at him... I could feel my heart pounding...

I was completely blown away.
The next phase was very important. Crucial. Depression was looming. I knew at this point that my son was asking me to get him the help he needed.

As I was ready to formulate another LEAP phrase to get him to partner toward our next goal,  he simply said: Mom, I think it is time. I need to go to the hospital.
Although my heart was breaking...I did hear the soothing bells of "Oh glory" ringing in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment