Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Along came HIPAA
When we parent of mentally challenged sons and daughter witness atrocities blamed on our boys and girls, men or women suffering from a mental illness, we sit and wonder at the system we have been facing, at the locked doors of help that have been shut in our faces, and more importantly, the limited help we can get for our children.
- Does anyone know that HIPAA applies to mental illness? No parents, friend or family member could get any information from doctors, nurses, psychologist if your son or daughter is 18 years old and above.
- Do you know that to hospitalize your child, he (she) should have committed a crime, formulated a threat severe enough to be considered as a danger.
- Do you know that there is no way you can force your child to take the prescribed medication, there is no follow up if you can't afford it?
- Do you know that there is not enough transitional housing for mental illness?
- Do you understand the financial and emotional burden the parents face without help or council from the government?
- Do you know that law enforcement cannot do much until after a crime is done, after a threat is formulated?
What this country should do is release laws that parent of mentally challenged children face daily, tear the red tapes from getting information from their doctor, and inform and teach parents who are left without resources, without knowledge but their own through research.
- There are more funds available for senseless research than for researchers and scientists of mental illness.
Do you know that a holding time after a 51/50 is usually three days to a week? After which the patients are released?
Give the parents more rights if their child is 18 or above to consult with the doctors, educate them on what they are facing, give them the tools they need instead of red taping all access and information in their faces.
Thank you

6 comments:

  1. Thank you. Extremely informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just trying to explain it from my experiences. Often, we hear it from the doctors and/or from the patients in remission. But, we rarely hear it from the parents who painfully live it on a daily basis.

      Delete
  2. Could you please send this to the State Representatives, and to the President. They all say they want mental health reform. I have never felt so helpless in my life. My sorrow knowing that my son is non-compliant and not knowing what is going on, is over-whelming at times. And yes, I could have written that paragraph myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, and I will send it to my state representatives.
      I like that you chose your screen name as "the_enabler" since at one time or another; we can all relate!
      We can be passionate about the causes we hold very close to our hearts, but it's only when we stick together as a community that continuously voices opinions that we may finally be heard. I will try to send my message as far and as often as I can, and I will ask you to join me. I know how overwhelming and sad we are when we are on a downward slope and how hopeful we come to be at the slightest sign of improvement.

      Delete
  3. I obtained legal guardianship through the courts, but it was an expensive and lengthy process. My son is ID and sz and was not opposed to this. Many people don't have the resources or the cooperation of the family member. They definitely need to make changes! The doctors and hospital still get my son to sign the HIPAA paper just to cover themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are truly not asking HIPAA to strip its privacy rules but as "caregivers" we should be allowed to participate and get informed. Why should we go through lawyers and courts to participate in our sons and daughters' therapy? The medical and judicial world should be praising and helping all proactive parents instead of pushing them away.

    ReplyDelete